Syntax for specifying "structured" fo property values

Subject: Syntax for specifying "structured" fo property values
From: pandeng@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Schafer)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:39:45 GMT

The current XSL WD has very little to say about the syntax that is to
be used for specifying the values of non-simple properties. In fact,
the only thing I could find in the entire spec is the example given in
3.6 for the space properties:

 space-before.minimum="2.0pt"
 space-before.maximum="4.0pt"

But what about other structured properties? For example, what about
play-during? If the value is a simple URL, the syntax seems obvious:

 play-during="http://www.foo.com/bar.au"

What if I want to specify the "mix" or "repeat" modifiers as well? I
suppose I could extend the pattern used by space:

 play-during.url="http://www.foo.com/bar.au"
 play-during.mix="true"

But since the modifiers are optional, does this mean that
"play-during" and "play-during.url" should both be allowed as
attribute names in the XSL result tree?

And what about the font property? It seems that there is no way to
specify this without the use of nested quotation marks:

 font="12pt/14pt 'Times New Roman', serif"

-Steve Schafer