RE: Merging two documents

Subject: RE: Merging two documents
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:26:26 +0100

> If you look at James Clarks latest XT parser
> he implements the document function...
>
> I would be really interested in how this is implemented
> with examples!

I can tell you how it's implemented in SAXON, though the only example of its
use is in the SAXON XSL compiler itself, where the document() function is
used to implement xsl:include.

The main difficulty in using document() is in ensuring it is only called
once for each document referenced. Unfortunately the XSL spec doesn't say
when or how often a function is executed, nor does it say whether two
separate calls on document("fred.xml") will give you two separate documents
(i.e., is count(document("fred.xml")|document("fred.xml")) equal to 1 or
2?). I suspect SAXON and xt might not always give the same answer, even
though both conform to the spec.

Mike Kay