Re: Netscape support for XSL Stylesheets

Subject: Re: Netscape support for XSL Stylesheets
From: "John Markor" <john.markor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 08:31:23 -0700

OK - so everyone on the list apparently hates Microsoft - not a problem.  But Microsoft is the ONLY! mainstream browser that supports any form of XML in a native format.  So whatever its failings, we seem to be relegated to haphazard support.

Which may not be a bad thing - at least its some sort of support, and they are farther along the curve than Netscape is, especially since the comments I've seen from the lists apparently seem to state that Netscape could "take or leave" XML and/or XSL.  I  already have a _javascript_ program that validates an XML document against a DTD and/or Schema - done with IE5.  I can't do that with any other product unless I want to get something like the SoftQuad Products, which are too expensive to deliver into a mainstream authoring environment.  If I had to suggest that someone go out and purchase 150 copies of the SoftQuad products, I'd be laughed out of the office.

Most of my clientele uses Win98 or NT4, most of the XML editors, save for SoftQuad, have an interface that only a programmer would love - not the target market that I consult for.  So I suggest that they use IE4/MSXML or IE5 to author/validate structured documents with.  Its quick, relatively painless to support, relatively inexpensive, and most importantly, WORKS! like a charm.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'll live with the "quirks" in the Microsoft product - unless someone shows me a better product that works on Win98 and NT4.