RE: Can solve the N-queens - but can't count!

Subject: RE: Can solve the N-queens - but can't count!
From: "Wilson, James.W" <James.W.Wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:52:43 -0500

I think those translate directly into user benefits. The lack of side
effects in DSSSL meant that you could build up reusable function libraries
that could be used with great confidence (since you knew they wouldn't bogus
up some global state somewhere). Also, suppose you have a gigundous XML file
in an XSL-aware editor and you change one tag which is in your relatively
small viewing window. Should you have to re-render the whole file just to
display that view window? Side-effect-freeness means (I think!) that you
don't.

James