Re: Generating non-HTML in a HTML document

Subject: Re: Generating non-HTML in a HTML document
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:29:23 -0700

At 99/06/16 16:14 +0200, Henk Fictorie wrote:

> I've got the idea that I should use the NXML namespace and the XSL
> file should be something like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
> xmlns:henk="java:com.jclark.xsl.sax.NXMLOutputHandler"
> result-ns=""
> default-space="strip"
> indent-result="no">

Unfortunately, you can't apply semantics to the result tree in a piecemeal
fashion.

Your result-ns="" states the semantics of the result tree are HTML ... thus
the
*entire* result tree is interpreted according to those semantics.

If you used result-ns="henk" then your *entire* result tree would have been
interpreted according to the Non-XML semantics (which wouldn't have produced
the result you desired either).

For those unaware of the NXML result tree semantics of XT, James has some
documentation in his
<http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt.html>http://www.jclark.com/xml/xt.html file.
The
free preview section of our "Introduction to XSLT (XSL Transformations) -
Third
Edition 1999-06-08 ISBN 1-894049-00-4" also includes a short example and the
plans for the Fourth Edition include more detail of this useful environment
(for example, we use it to generate MSDOS batch files using XSL where "<" is
important for input redirection).

--
G. Ken Holman                  mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.           http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/