RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:59:28 +0100

> From: Guy Murphy [mailto:guy-murphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> Firstly we are having a discussion here. We are all making
> assertions based on experience. Chants of "where's you evidence" can start

> getting childish in a forum such as this.

On the contrary, it is childish (or at any rate amateurish) for a group of
experts to discuss whether one facility or another is easier to use based on
extrapolating their own personal experience.

(Also, I think we're being rather unscientific about defining our metrics:
are we after speed of learning, or about the efficiency, or effectiveness,
or subjective satisfaction of trained users?)

My own observation so far of the beginners who stray onto this list or onto
comp.text.xml is that people new to XSL have a lot of "conceptual
understanding" problems at first, which are quickly overcome after a few
weeks learning.

Mike Kay