RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point

Subject: RE: Leventhal's challenge misses the point
From: Miles Sabin <msabin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:15:44 +0100

Jeffrey L. Caruso wrote,
> Miles Sabin wrote:
> > jcaruso wrote,
> > > With XSL they get a certain amount of power and
> > > control within a fairly easy-to-understand setting.
> > > Almost everyone will be able to learn enough of it
> > > for their purposes; e.g. something like a client-
> > > generated table of contents should be within
> > > anyone's
> > > reach.
> >
> > Yes, but isn't that a subset of XSL which (almost)
> > coincides with CSS?
>
> No.
>
> Perhaps "client-generated table of contents" was over-
> brief: I can send an XML/XSL document and have the
> client software (browser) both display the document and
> rearrange the content to display a table of contents.

So, transformations are involved. In which case I
question your confidence that 'almost everyone will be
able to learn enough of it for their purposes'. It's not
that I doubt the _intelligence_ of (most importantly)
graphic designers, I just doubt that they'll have either
the time or the inclination to learn how to be
programmers.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                          Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect           5/6 Glenthorne Mews