Re: Multiple XML files

Subject: Re: Multiple XML files
From: Ray Waldin <rwaldin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:58:49 -0700

> The April 21 Working Draft supports the doc() and docref() functions for
> accessing multiple files, though at this time I believe there is no
> software to support these functions.

Isn't the ...ref() suffix (as in idref(), keyref(), and docref())
somewhat misleading?  The XML attribute types ID and IDREF are indeed
complimentary in that an IDREF attribute refers to an element with the
specified ID attribute.  In XSLT however, id() refers to an element with
a particular ID attribute, and idref() refers to a set of nodes which
have any of a number of ID attributes as determined by the arguments
(also node sets).  It would be clearer if these functions were called
id() and idset(), or idref() and idrefs().  The same applies to key,
keyref, doc, and docref.

Just my $0.02.

-Ray