Re: size?

Subject: Re: size?
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:57:48 -0500

Chris Maden wrote:

> Are you prepared for the support calls when LATIN SMALL LETTER A
> followed by COMBINING DIAERESIS counts differently from LATIN SMALL
> LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS?

This is a tricky problem but we cannot avoid solving it forever.
Applications need to count characters. Wouldn't it be better if they did
it in an interoperable way?

Also there is a stated requirement to reference into XPointer strings.
XPointer can be expressed as a simple node-list generating function until
you consider strings...if we considered strings as nodes (abstractly, not
necessarily in implementations) then our model is clean and consistent.

There is also the problem of regular expressions in XSchemas. They'll
require a definition of character. Isn't there a Perl regexp that will
give me the 13th character?

Let's just define this stuff properly once, in terms of character nodes,
and get it over with.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998