Re:

Subject: Re: <xsl-script>
From: Rick Geimer <rick.geimer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:53:46 -0700

Here's my $0.02. I've been a heavy user and believer in OmniMark for years now,
and will continue to be, since XSL has chosen to limit itself to dealing
strictly with XML on both the input and output side.

However, I do have a keen interest in using XSL for XML to XML transformations,
even though I am more comfortable with OmniMark. The primary reason from my
point of view is simple, I don't want to keep my core transformation logic in a
proprietary language if there is a standard that I can use instead. Personally,
I think OmniMark should incorporate an XSL transformation module into their
language to attract a larger user base and position themselves as a standards
supporter vs a proprietary solution, but this is unlikely to happen unless it
is developed by a third party as an external function library.

In the mean time, there is plenty of room for both technologies. XSL isn't
going to be able to transform RTF (yuck) to XML any time soon, and OmniMark
isn't going to run in anybody's web browser, even with an <xsl:script> tag.

Rick Geimer
National Semiconductor
rick.geimer@xxxxxxx