Re: Passing parameters to xsl

Subject: Re: Passing parameters to xsl
From: "Joseph Alex" <alex_jos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 05:52:40 PDT

Hi,

I had this problem sometime back and these are my solutions to this problem. Am not sure whether this would solve your problems or whether they are absolutely correct. Anyway here it goes..

I am using IE5, IIS etc, for both client and server side combination of XML and XSL using ASPs. Since the XSL is used only during transformation, you really can't pass parameters to XSL. The only way to counter this would be dynamically generate XSL based on the requirements or have multiple XSLs ready if that is feasible, both of which I have tried successfully. Another way which I used extensively in my program was to manipulate the XML DOM using the ASP scripts. Depending on the parameter or whatever, when ASP processes XML and XSL, I appended a child node to the XML DOM object and the XSL has the code in it to check which parameter it has etc and do the necessary action. And of course, XSL can certainly call the functions in the ASP later which could alter the DOM, or whatever. In fact, I implemented client side and server side sorting entirely doing this.

Hope this helps. I don't think there is a more direct way to do this, if anybody knows of any, please let me know.

THanks,
Alex