RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: RE: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:12:59 -0500

HI Chris,

<YourComment>
> >From what I understood from certain position taken by this list members
is
> that the default behavior should be that when a DTD is present there
should
> be structural integrity validation. If not, no validation is done.

That is the intent of the XML 1.0 specification, yes.
</YourComment>

<Reply>
Specs should not be attached with unspecified intentions :-) If this was the
1.0 specification intentions then why it is not explicitly specified that a
DTD is required for validation (a absolute requirement to be XML compliant)
and that a XML interpreter should validate the document against this DTD.
this would have been better.
</Reply>

<YourComment>
Not "could be"; *is&*. That is the intent of the XML 1.0 spec. That is
what a validating parser does when encountering a document with a
doctype declaration and an internal subset with anything other than just
entity declarations.
</YourComment>

<Reply>
Maybe I didn't read enough the specs and there is a paragraph I missed.
Chris what is the paragraph specifying explicitly what you are saying. This
would help. I searched, I am maybe too tired but I cannot find such
statement in the specs. I don't speak here of tacit intentions in the mind
of some people. I speak here of written words.
</Reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx