Re: XML on Gecko

Subject: Re: XML on Gecko
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 10:06:18 +0200

Richard Lander wrote:

>  Chris,
>
> I don't fully understand what you mean. What do you mean from 'but then' on.

I didn't mean to imply a sequence. I meant, change (add, delete,
reorder) the things you want,, and perform he identity transform on
everything else.

> I expect that you are suggesting that I or anyone should use XSL on the
> server or as a post-production then style the resultant XML using CSS, the
> way that XSL is supposed to work as a whole but in two stages.

yes.

> That seems to
> me to be a pretty good idea. I'll have to think about that. Until now, using
> XT or IE5 has been pretty easy for HTML display of XML although 'cheap' and
> undesirable for the long-term.

But if you are depending on an IE5 feature, and it can style XML
directly, then why drop down to HTML? That brings in the other XML-aware
browsers, too.

> I think I'll adopt the sort of process that I
> think you are suggesting.  Thanks. Your approach is certainly nicer and
> actually displaying XML. I've not played with the CSS side of IE5 much since
> the release but I believe that it has trouble resolving entities.

That would be the XML part rather than the CSS part, entity management.

Recall that you do not have a catalog file and that , unlike HTML, there
are only four predefined entities.

If you are used to authoring using a larger entity set, you could
continue to do so and just declare them in the internal dtd subset at
the start of the document. Or have XT declare them for you ;-)

> Is that
> still the case because it is a feature I need or does XT do that on
> transformation to resultant XML? I bet it does. Sounds good.

Do you have a test case that shows where entities are failing?

--
Chris