Fw: multiple sorting modes

Subject: Fw: multiple sorting modes
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:55:19 +0200

Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>It's no problem producing one tables with the documents sorted by, for
>example, document number. But how do I produce three tables? In other
words,
>how do I apply multiple templates to the same nodes? I saw something about
>'modes' in the spec, but I'm not sure if I should use those and how.

You should. Qualify the templates for each of the three sorting modes:

<xsl:template match="..." mode="sort-by-???">...

And then invoke the templates in the right mode to generate the table you
need:

<xsl:apply-templates select="..." mode="sort-by-???"/>

A catch: by default, template modes are _not recursive_, that is you need to
add a template:

<xsl:template match="*" mode="sort-by-???">
<xsl:apply-templates mode="sort-by-???"/>
</xsl:template>

In case you don't specify an explicit <xsl:template> for all the sorted
tree.

Another catch: I've heard it said that IE5 doesn't support modes in the
built-in XSL processor. If this is true, I can give up on using it for my
application. Does anyone have an idea if/when IE5 will support modes?

Share & Enjoy,

    Oren Ben-Kiki