RE: XML to HTML Conversion Tools

Subject: RE: XML to HTML Conversion Tools
From: Mike Dierken <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:29:33 -0800

Kurt,
Typically the behavior of web servers can be extended in two ways:
Filter - receive & process each & every web transaction (kind of like
subclassing)
Extension - take over a sub-tree of the URL namespace

Different web servers have different ways of doing these. There are some
nice, fairly standard ways of doing an extension - specifically Java
Servlets. I don't know if there are standard ways of doing filters.

If performance or scalability become a concern, you will probably get into a
caching scheme at some point. Using existing technology (caching proxies,
etc.) is probably a good idea, and so you may want to check into how they
work & consider that in your design.

Also, you might want to think about a more flexible way of returning HTML
when the client asks for XML. The HTTP protocol has a mechanism for the
client to specify its preferred media format. You might want to check the
'Accept' header & look for 'text/xml' or 'text/html' and return the
appropriate type. This way, a client could get to the XML by specifying
'text/xml' if that is what it really wanted.

Mike D
DataChannel

PS,
If you are considering Java based server side XSL processing, DataChannel
has an XSL processor that you can evaluate:
http://www.datachannel.com/xml_resources/