Re: Venting

Subject: Re: Venting
From: Keith Visco <kvisco@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:44:57 -0500

Guy,

I agree with you that a vendor could say that they implement part of the
XSL WD. Though it's not much of a sales pitch to those who don't know
that the implemented "part"  can stand on it's own and is extremely
useful for those not doing "style". As it stands now, this powerful
transformation, is hidden under something called a eXstenisible Style
Language and as someone pointed out in an earlier post, people looking
for a transformation processor could easily pass over XSL processors.

I think that with a greater division, Transformation and FO can flourish
on their own, but the two can still be married to handle the complete
transformation + fo = style.

Since both the transformation process and FO process can stand on their
own quite nicely, it would be a shame to give the impression to others
that they need to go together.

FO processors don't need any of the transformation process if the
document they are processing is already laid out with FO tags. The FO
processor could actually care less which Transformation engine was used,
if any, to add the FO tags around the content. The Transformation
processor could probably care less  that you are outputing FO tags
instead of well formed HTML. or any other desired markup. To me it seems
natural to want to split these.

There may be reasons for choosing different transformation engines for
different tasks. Maybe one is lightweight and easily transported without
much overhead, but perhaps it is slow. One maybe fast, but it requires a
lot of memory. By allowing the separation of Transformation and FO
processing we can use the pieces that best suit our needs for a
particular application.

I am in certainly in favor of using FOs. I think both transformation and
FO support will be critical to the success of XSL. I don't want the
lines between the two blurred in such a fashion that the average user
doesn't see that both can be used independant of one another. The choice
to using one or the other or both should be application/user dependant.

--keith

something is actually a compl