RE: About Microsoft Patent

Subject: RE: About Microsoft Patent
From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:25:42 -0500

> I refuse to get my nighty in a knot about an unsupportable patent. Just
> because the monkeys in the patent office will approve anything doesn't
> mean that a judge will back them. Microsoft would also look pretty silly
> defending such a stupid pattent -- and losing.

Right. I saw this patent be issued last week, and spent just a very little
time chasing down prior art other than that I already knew about. There is
a ton of it out there, so this patent could easily be challenged.

Still, there are worse ones.... I forget who, but someone has an *old*
patent
on applying style to a region of text (I seem to remember this in the