RE: Feature Request: equivalent to DSSSL read-entity function

Subject: RE: Feature Request: equivalent to DSSSL read-entity function
From: Ed Nixon <ed.nixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:24:06 -0500

Well. We've already had some comments with regard to the difficulty and
inadvisability of messing with the source tree (I assume from the stand point
of XSL, at least.) These comments have made sense to me.

On the other hand, I can sure see the utility of assembling pieces of multiple,
similarly structured documents, e.g., synopsis piece, author info, publication
date, version, etc., into a unit that is then processed via XSL for
presentation, with links, perhaps. But I wouldn't think it appropriate that
this assembly process be done by XSL. It seems more of a mainstream query
function that deserves its own, optimized tools.

In general, I'm a bit puzzled about the best way of thinking about concurrently
handling multiple documents in the context of DOM, SAX, XSL. Some work on this
seems to be the MDSAX kit from JXML but I haven't looked at it in detail.

Another approach, I presume, it to store the documents, either as indexed
fragments a la POET or as parsed trees a la eXcelon. No free joy on this front
however.

Any other ideas or comments?

(Perhaps this isn't appropriate for the XSL list, although multiple documents
and changing the source tree do seem to recur as themes.)

	...edN