Lions and Tigers and Scripting - Oh My!

Subject: Lions and Tigers and Scripting - Oh My!
From: David LeBlanc <whisper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 23:38:53 -0800

Well, I certainly walked into the scripting thing with my eyes closed! Now
that i've read the xsl archive, I can see how controversial it was!

I noticed only two things really:

	The W3C is was mis-characterized imho. I think the founders of W3C are out
to do a good thing and have taken on commercial partners as a necessary
evil. If they (the corporations) where not part of the process, I think the
web whould be far more chaotic.  And, having been around the corporate
world, I can imagine the petty bickering, back stabbing politics and
jockeying for position that occurs. I'd bet if they could have done it any
other way, they whould have.

	It was mentioned that maybe xsl is trying to do more then it ought - is it
a style specificatin notation, or a transformation notation (I'm
deliberately avoiding the word language here)?  Maybe, like XPointer and
XLink, Xsl ought to split into XStyle and Xtransform and let each of those
specs focus on a single strength.

I guess the real bad thing is that the xsl WG  having vacated leadership in
this, what will tend to happen are ad-hoc addons (vb by Microsoft  for
instance) that will do the things that the lack of a formal scripting
language extension (open or closed) leaves open.

Sincerely,

Dave LeBlanc