Re: Accessing values from another sub-tree

Subject: Re: Accessing values from another sub-tree
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 10:45:15 +0700

"Vun Kannon, David" wrote:

>         I've cooked up an XML encoding of UML by working as directly as
> possible from the UML spec.
> I'm attempting to use an XSL stylesheet
> to transform the schema into SQL DDL.

>         Now, everything in the stylesheet is plain vanilla, except for that
> follow() function in the selection patterns. Its sort of like the WD
> function id() on steroids. The question I put before you is whether or not
> the functionality of follow() can be accomplished within the spec

No.  Lotus XSL has a uri("foo.xml") function that selects the root node
of the document "foo.xml".  One generalization of this is to allow the
argument to be a select pattern, so you can say uri(@href).  Another
generalization is to allow the argument to be a URI reference complete
with a fragment identifier.  Fragment identifiers in XML documents are
interpreted as XPointers.  So if instead of

<Part href="../../Property[@name='ID']"/>

you write

<Part href="#origin().ancestor(2).child(1,Property,name,'ID')"/>

or whatever the right XPointer is, then you would be able to use

  uri(@href)

to get the effect of your follow(@href).

James