Re: Want serialized (rather than DOM-tree) output from XSL transforma tions

Subject: Re: Want serialized (rather than DOM-tree) output from XSL transforma tions
From: ht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Henry S. Thompson)
Date: 23 Dec 1998 23:18:58 +0000

"Duffy, Bruce" <Bruce.Duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> In both versions of the XSL WD the result of transforming an xml tree
> using an XSL tree is always referred to as a "result tree".  However,
> in IE5b2's XSL implementation, the result of applying an XSL tree to
> an XML tree is actually a "serialized" string -- not a tree.
>
> With IE5b2, a separate step is required to convert the serialized
> output of the transformation back into XML or HTML (assuming the
> serialized output conforms to one of those two formats).
>
> My question is this: At West, we want to apply an XSL style sheet to
> an XML document to produce a result that *is not a tree*, but is
> instead a string or stream in West's "WestPro" data stream format.

Sorry, won't happen.  XSL is a companion standard to XML.  The draft
recommendation makes clear that serialisation of the output is
allowed, but not required.  By definition the output is XML,
whether tree or character sequence.

ht [NOT speacking for the WG]
	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx