Re: XSL with scripting

Subject: Re: XSL with scripting
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:59:33 -0500

At 12:51 PM 12/22/98 -0600, Paul Prescod wrote:
>Users ceded control of their standards from organizations they could
>control -- such as the IETF and ISO -- to organizations that they could
>not -- such as the W3C. Users confer legitimacy just on standards
>organizations just as they do on governments. Presumably, they trust these
>organizations.

"Users ceded"?  What?  Never mind.  Must have been one of those checks they
send out where if you cash it, you've signed a contract.  Vendors confer
legitimacy on the W3C, not users.  Vendors have the votes, after all, not
users.

>Luckily, a determined and interested group of users can make their own
>standards: we've already seen that with SGML (ISO) and WebDAV (IETF) and
>even XML-DEV (SAX). The only problem is that more advanced standards are
>incredibly expensive to create.

And hopefully, open process will demonstrate (as open source did for
software) that that 'incredibly expensive to create' is by no means
insuperable.

No good place seems to exist to discuss these issues; any suggestions from
the house?

Oh well.  I guess we'll see what the experts give us for a style standard...

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Cookies
Sharing Bandwidth
Building XML Applications (February)