RE: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: RE: alternating tags in a list?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:48:51 -0500

Hi Guy,

You said:
XSL is a direct threat to ASP, you can garantee that MS will be all over
it, and if they can manage another "embrace and extend" flanking maneuver,
they will. The W3C are fools if they ignore this. Denying the reality of it
will just see them loosing control of main-stream XSL to MS.

Personaly I hope the W3C can avoid making this mistake.

Reply:
Right on!!

So, if we can use scripts in rules, we'll be able to access data bases (XSL
in its current state cannot do that). So, if XSL has the right stuff, we may
have it on Appache, Netscape, etc... and be able to do what is more and more
needed: accessing relational databases.

For W3 people:
Have you heard of Internet computing?? Have you heard recently of
e-commerce??? How can we do that without accessing databases? If at least we
have something more standard than ASP that could be easily transported on
different HTTP servers, XSL for instance (with the right tools embedded in
the language).

Then, if people are asking for scripting features it is that XSL in its
current form do not have any mechanism to access data bases. My question is
then: How could we do that with XSL? Without a good answer to this question,
I'll say like Guy. Microsoft is a monopoly _because_ some let them be so and
it seems that W3 is among these. I know daddy government is there to resolve
the issue :-)))

Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com