RE: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: RE: alternating tags in a list?
From: keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:47:54 -0500

>From: "Lawton, Scott" <slawton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@xxxxxxxxxxx]
>> My guess is that inline ECMAScript will:
>>  * reduce the number of actual XSL implementations,
>
>Whatever the merits of your other reasons, I don't think this one is
>compelling.  For better or worse, ECMAScript is already a standard and
>browsers already implement it.

Please remember that not all styling runs in browsers. And even in the
browser arena, ECMAScript isn't the only language in play.

The Right Answer would be an API that allows _multiple_ languages to be
plugged in, if that can be done. Among other things, that increases the
odds of being able to talk to other software systems if you need to do
something _really_ obscenely complex in your styling (such as using the
data to generate a reference to a dynamically-created bitmap).