RE: syntax feedback

Subject: RE: syntax feedback
From: "Lawton, Scott" <slawton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:45:02 -0500

> > Funny, I've shown it (the public draft, of course) to many
> people and got
> > nothing but good response. Clearly it all depends on how
> you present it.
>
> Speaking as someone who's been working with a nonprocedural styling
> language since '89: It _definitely_ depends on how you
> present it.

Of course it's more than that.  I spent a solid 7 days working with XSL and
I longed for the simplicity/power of real variables, real if/then tests,
real subroutines, etc.  Granted I'm working with a prototype implemention of
a first Working Draft -- but I'm still concerned about the direction that
XSL appears to be heading.

I've also done some transformations using JavaScript & the DOM; that's still
pretty crude at this point and I'm not advocating that as a better solution.

It may well be both desirable and possible to create a sufficiently powerful
and friendly declarative syntax -- but it's unlikely to happen if people
just dismiss the concerns expressed on this list.

Scott