Re: alternating tags in a list?

Subject: Re: alternating tags in a list?
From: Paul_Tihansky@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:26:45 -0500

--- Paul Prescod wrote: --->
> As James Clark has pointed out on several occasions, if you want to turn
> every other row in a table blue, this is *trivial* in DOM code. Why mess
> up the nice declarative properties of the XSL stylesheet when the feature
> you want is already available and well specified? Is it worth reducing
the
> number of XSL implementations?

If its so *trivial* why shouldn't XSL be able to handle alternating tags?
Its not so trivial to create DOM code for a non-DOM programmer.  You even
cited an example of your own.

> Nevertheless, I can say this about XSL: I've deployed it in two
> situations. The first was a markup user who doesn't know how to program.

If they wanted to do alternating tags, what would you have told them to do?
I can do a lot with an XSL transformation, so why should I have to abandon
XSL altogether for the sake of a trivial function.  I think not including
these simple functions or some way of embedding these function is going to
discourage a lot of people from using XSL.

Paul T.