Re: syntax feedback

Subject: Re: syntax feedback
From: keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:14:40 -0500

> Funny, I've shown it (the public draft, of course) to many people and got
> nothing but good response. Clearly it all depends on how you present it.

Speaking as someone who's been working with a nonprocedural styling
language since '89: It _definitely_ depends on how you present it. Folks
are generally terrified of rule systems until they've had a chance to play
with them, but when they're the right tool for the purpose (as in this
case) that generally turns around pretty quickly once they start doing
real-world applications.

Re CSS-versus-XSL competition, I'll point again to the W3C's webpage. They
have a nice short statement positioning the two. CSS handles simple stuff
and cascading, XSL handles stuff that's just too complex for CSS. The two
will probably converge someday, but for now that's your choice; pick the
tool for the task.

Let's face it: CSS is more or less in Beta, and XSL is more or less in
Alpha. For now, the competition is healthy -- as long as everyone keeps an
open mind rather than declaring that their own tool is an obvious winner.
It's _far_ too early for any such statement.