Re: XSL intent survey

Subject: Re: XSL intent survey
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:03:36 GMT

  Tranforming an arbitrary document into a Web version and a print version
  (two targets with very different characteristic) is likely to involve some
  reasonably sophisticated transformation.  Once accomplished, it would be
  nice for "anyone" to be able to adjust things like font/size/style, page
  size (e.g. A4 vs. US letter), margins and such.  I'm not sure if one
  language can provide sufficient rich transformations for the first group and
  sufficiently simple "style changes" for the second.

but css isn't going to go away. If you have transformed to HTMl by XSL
or dsssl or whatever, the end users can still apply a css style sheet and
further format the result if they don't like it can't they? But that
doesn't seem a good reason to remove the formatiing from the
transformation language so that you have to invent a fake `unformatted
output' DTD into which you can transform your XML just so you can then
apply a `simple' formatting language to typeset it. I just don't see
how you can make the split if you want to do more than just colour a few
elements in your browser. I want to get TeX quality typesetting out of
the formatting/transformation language (probably in the short term by
using TeX as a back end). If you are used to using TeX, dsssl is already
a strictly limited system, and XSL more so. Suggestions of a style
language without even the power of the current XSL draft are just
scary...

David