Identity transformation == Good (was Re: Dealing with markup not known in advance)

Subject: Identity transformation == Good (was Re: Dealing with markup not known in advance)
From: Andrew Bunner <bunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:35:48 -0700

  The identity transform would be insanely useful to me right about now. On
pages with forms and accompanying tricky formatting that is repeated no where
else on the site I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to have them come
out right.

  Anyword on whether any tools support this now? Does anyone have any ideas on
how to workaround this using a post/pre-processor? I do Perl, but not Java.
Perhaps someone on the list has already come up with a solution or an idea (I
hope...)

>> Say I want to transform a certain element in a document, perhaps
>> putting a wrapper element, or adding attributes, but want to keep the
>> content exactly the same, *including the existing markup.*

[snip]

>Something like this is likely to be added to XML. The WD explicitly says
>that the language must be extended to allow the identity transform.

  Added to XML? Do you mean XSL?

-- Andrew

   Andrew Bunner           bunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   President, Mass Quantities, Inc.
   Professional Supplements for the Perfect Physique
   http://www.massquantities.com