RE: FW: XSL - Loss to braille style sheets?

Subject: RE: FW: XSL - Loss to braille style sheets?
From: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 07:52:43 +0100

> > Another reason to ensure some form of procedural language
DP: My error - I'm never as accurate as James :-)
Perhaps programming language is 'better'.
[Scheme would do me]
> > is kept - Internationalisation this time, rather than the braille
> > using minority, or don't they count either.
> >
> > No Paul, I don't want to have to wait two years.
>
> Nobody said you should wait two or three years. I said that between now
> and two or three years from now, you should (perhaps) do your ad hoc
> manipulations either on the INPUT to XSL

Possible, as JC suggests using DOM access is viable.
Why not from within the style sheet? I haven't heard any valid reasons not
to.

> or the OUTPUT of XSL
No Paul. Contractions need to be applied prior to formatting.
Having laid out a paragraph on a page, there seems little point in
contracting (to half the length) then having to format _again_

> instead of
> *IN* XSL. But I'm not trying to stop you from doing them. The standards to
> allow you to manipulate the input and output of XSL are 95% in place:
> ECMAScript and the DOM.

Yes, we could apply prior to using a stylesheet.
Yes, Ecmascript and accessing the source grove via the DOM is viable.
We then have to ask MS/Netscape etc, to 'fit' the pre-process into their
model of operation.

          N O.

> BTW, if you get conversion to braille working as an XSL post-process,
which it won't.

>  then
> you can plug your post-process onto the back of any XSL spec and open up
> the web to Braille.
Our objective.
>  On the other hand, if you embed it in particular
> stylesheets, then only a small fraction of the web will be available in
> Braille.

Illogical. In the same way that you couldn't write a stylesheet to present
any
web XML document to your tastes.

> Everything I touch turns into Python.
Python would do the job, but v slowly ;-)

Last post, I promise.
I'll use W3C channels in future.

Sorry to be a bore to you sighted guys.

Regards, DaveP