Re: transformations: xml->html works, what about xml->xml

Subject: Re: transformations: xml->html works, what about xml->xml
From: "Ingo Macherius" <macherius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:32:41 +0200

Wilson, James.W <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote at 9 Jul 98, 7:07:

> Sorry if I've missed it, but what would be an example of a stylesheet
> that transforms xml into xml?

Most transformations that take xml as an input format and output some
"object oriented" format may be modelled by an xml->xml
transformation. Simply think of xml as a formal notation for nested
objects.

> I saw the example of one that generates html, but doesn't
> that presuppose the 'html flow objects'?
> Is there a way to specify 'xml flow objects'?

xml flow object trees are formally modelled by a DTD (James Clark).
http://www.jclark.com/jade/#backend-fot

I use to think of flow object trees as a special xml->xml
transformation. The main difference to general transformation is the
fact, that the target schema (xml fot) has a predefined syntax and
semantic on how to display each element. That is just the same
situation as with HTML. So it is not suprising that XSL uses "HTML
element types" intermixed with the more abstract DSSSL flow objects.

	++im
--
Ingo Macherius//Dolivostrasse 15//D-64293 Darmstadt//+49-6151-869-882
GMD-IPSI German National Research Center for Information Technology