RE: Interactive XML

Subject: RE: Interactive XML
From: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 07:51:29 +0100

Mitch wrote:
> Could you elaborate on your criticism of ECMAScript?
>
> IMHO, ECMAScript is a good scripting language, at least as good
> as some of the commercial offerings I've had the pleasure (or displeasure)
>
> to work with (including a number of relational application environments).
> I'm currently using a fairly plain subset of JavaScript, with Netscapisms,
>
> to achieve some very useful results. Admittedly, the user interface
> features
> are somewhat limited by the existing set of HTML based form elements, but
> this has little to do with the language.

DP: Our need is to access each element content and apply contractions prior
formatting and layout with XSL. This is to permit words to be replaced by
abbreviated ASCII representations for braille.
DSSSL does this very nicely thank you, using scheme.
Present implementations rely on an efficient table driven system, with heavy
use of regexp type operations.
I am totally unconvinced that ecmascript will ever do this, either
efficently or
otherwise. For this reason I am looking for this group to suggest an
improvement to give us equal access.

regards, DaveP