RE: XML Transformation Language (was Re: removing HTML flow obj ects?)

Subject: RE: XML Transformation Language (was Re: removing HTML flow obj ects?)
From: Rob McDougall <RMcDouga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:13:55 -0400

Ken,

I don't think you've quite got my point (but you're close :) ).  While I
applaud the extensibility of DSSSL and (hopefully) XSL, that mechanism
is designed to be used in addition to, but not as a replacement of, the
core flow objects.  I see it more as a "I've got an XSL processor, now I
want to do something style-related that the originators didn't foresee".
Using it to do a database import within an existing style processor
qualifies as something that "the originators didn't foresee", but seems
a little too extreme (although technically possible, I suppose).

Just as ECMAScript is a standardised scripting language that can be
embedded in a wide variety of applications, I see the XSL transformation
"language" as a standardised XML transformation language that could be
embedded in a wide variety of XML applications.  I think web designer's
lives would have been much easier if ECMAScript had been standardised
*before* IE and Netscape embedded it in their browsers.  Likewise, I
think XML programmer's lives will be simplified if W3C standardises the
transformation syntax *before* a plethora of XML tools are implemented.

I find your last statement very encouraging.

Cheers,

Rob